You can upload data to create a Cipher report in the following ways:
- One column: patent numbers
- Two columns: patent numbers + technology cluster
- Three columns: patent numbers + technology cluster + organisations/portfolios
Any row that doesn’t contain a patent is ignored.
There is no limit to the amount of data you can upload.
- Copy the data from the source (E.g. spreadsheet). The tool supports a variety of formats (see below)
- Specify what you want to see in your report i.e. Cipher clusters or your own
- Paste the list of patents in the text box
- Click Upload
- You will be shown a confirmation screen confirming all patents were found
- Enter report name
- Hit Next to generate the report
Tutorial: How to upload a list of patents
You can use a list of publication IDs (e.g. “US12345A1”).
The tool is designed to support copying and pasting from spreadsheets, but will handle any kind of plain text too.
It will handle the following kinds of IDs:
- Full with kind code e.g. US12345B1
- Full without kind code e.g. US12345
- Number only (Important: these are assumed to be US patents) e.g. 12345
The tool doesn’t assume anything about file format (e.g. CSV, TSV, one per line) and tries to figure out different formats.
You also have the option of using Thomson Reuters/DWPI Accession numbers. By ticking the box (regardless if you create custom or normal report) you can upload accession numbers instead of publication numbers.
Examples of supported publication number formats:
Simple comma separated on one line
One per line:
Combination of lines and spaces:
Also, where the country code is separate from the number. E.g.:
This will also work:
US,1234 GB 82829
If there are missing publications you may want to check if any seem incorrect. This could indicate bad data, or it is possible very new patents will not yet be in Cipher.